One of the reasons salespeople fail to make their sales quota or sales target is they are too focused on that quota or target. And that’s wrong. When things are not going as well as they should, it’s easy to get frustrated and demotivated.
The focus instead should be on the Sales Process, because when you have a proven effective sales process and focus on applying it, you just know you will make the sales.
Let’s look at a simple version of a sales process. It might go something like this:
- Prospecting for new business – that’s identifying the perfect prospects.
- Contacting them to make an appointment.
- Meeting with them, asking questions to discover problems they might have that you can solve and opportunities you are able to help them exploit.
- Showing them how your product can help them solve the problem and / or exploit the opportunity.
- Dealing with objections, concerns or stalls
- Asking them to make the purchase.
That’s the outline process. And if you are expert at every stage of the process, have the methodology, strategies and selling skills to use at every stage, and have refined them so well that they work most of the time, the sale is then a foregone conclusion, much of the time.
So focus your attention entirely on refining your selling process and the strategies to use at every stage, and putting the process and strategies into action. Don’t get distracted, just repeat over and over, and you’ll never have to worry about hitting and exceeding sales quotas or targets ever again.